Ashland offers five public tours, Tuesday-Saturday:
10:00 – Signature Henry Clay Tour (mansion tour)
11:30 – Signature Henry Clay Tour (mansion tour)
1:00 – Traces: Slavery at Ashland (indoor/outdoor tour)
2:30 – Signature Henry Clay Tour (mansion tour)
4:00 – Signature Henry Clay Tour (mansion tour)
Prices = $25 Adult; $15 student
Each of the tours listed above will only have space for two household groups with a total of no more than 8 guests. We cannot guarantee walk-in availability for any of our public tours. Don’t take the risk of being disappointed! We highly recommend booking a spot on our tours in advance via the links below.
If you are traveling in a household group of 6-8 people, again, please book your tour in advance. If you walk-up with a large group, we will do our best to accommodate you, but you may have to wait for the next available tour slot.
What to Expect on the Tour
-Visitors will check-in at the H. Clay & Co. Museum Store in the Keeper’s Cottage (the first building on your right as you enter the parking lot).
-The tour will last one hour and is recommended for those who can stand and walk for that length of time.
-Docents and visitors will be required to maintain 6 feet of social distance from all respective groups and parties at all times. Each room will have markers reminding guests where to stand for proper distancing.
-Docents and visitors will wear masks at all times on the tour
– All high-touch areas will be sanitized between groups
-There will be no more than one tour in the mansion at a time.
-Visitors will be able to visit our H. Clay & Co. Museum Store before or after their tour.
Private Mansion Tour
Private mansion tours including the Signature Henry Clay Tour (indoors) Women’s Voices (indoors), Traces, Slavery at Ashland (indoors/outdoors), Art & Grounds (outdoor) are available to household groups of up to six people. Private mansion tours will be booked based on a mutually agreeable date and time. Contact Manager of Tours and Education, Cameron Walpole at firstname.lastname@example.org or (859) 266-8581 x 205 to book. Please be prepared with three dates/times your group is available to take the tour. Must book in advance. $125 for a group of up to 4 people. $150 for a group of 5 – 8 people.
Private Outdoor Tours
Private outdoors tours including Art & Grounds, Henry Clay’s Ashland, and Traces: Slavery at Ashland (modified for outdoors only) are available to household groups of up to 8 people. Contact Manager of Tours and Education, Cameron Walpole at email@example.com or (859) 266-8581 x 205 to book. Please be prepared with three dates/times your group is available to take the tour. Must book in advance. $100 for a group of up to 4 people. $125 for a group of 5 – 8 people.
Self-Guided, Outdoor Experiences
During these unprecedented times, we encourage visitors not wishing to take a private mansion tour to spend time exploring our grounds. Outdoor options are plentiful with a self-guided tour of the outbuildings, formal garden, and walking trails available. The grounds are free to visit year-round.
Live Virtual Tours
Live virtual tours are offered via Zoom. Choose any tour we offer and have your own live, guided tour from the comfort of your couch. Contact Manager of Tours and Education, Cameron Walpole at firstname.lastname@example.org or (859) 266-8581 x 205 to book. Please be prepared with three dates/times you are available to take the tour. Must book in advance. $45 for up to 10 connections. $75 for more than 10 connections.
Health and Safety at Ashland
Henry Clay’s Ashland has survived cholera outbreaks, the Civil War, the Great Depression, and ice storms. It will survive COVID-19 and be all the stronger for it. But it takes all of us working together, no matter where you are from, to defeat this virus. Our top priority is to provide a safe and healthy environment for our staff, volunteers, and visitors. Here are a few ways we are doing our part to accomplish this:
- All full-time and part-time staff & volunteers have tested negative for COVID-19.
- Staff members are screened daily with temperature checks and a wellness survey.
- Staff will wear face masks in public areas and when conducting tours – even outdoor tours.
- Staff will practice social distancing with each other and with visitors.
- High touch surfaces will be cleaned and sanitized even more than normal.
- Staff will wash their hands regularly and thoroughly throughout the day.
- Staff and volunteers will stay home if they are not feeling well, even if the symptoms are different from those associated with COVID-19.
Here’s what you can do to help create a positive and healthy experience at Ashland:
- If you have been ill within the past 24 hours or you are not feeling well now, please do not stay on the Estate even if you are practicing social distancing. Please go home and take care of yourself.
- Wear a face mask when taking a tour, interacting with others, or entering restrooms or buildings.
- Practice social distancing – even if someone has a really, really cute dog resist the temptation to break the 6-foot rule.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- If you haven’t done so already, pre-book your mansion tour for your immediate household.